When Washington State Ferries capsized David’s 17-year stint entertaining passengers on the Port Townsend ferry for reasons of “homeland security,” a media storm was touched off that led to the writing of this book. Nationwide newspaper articles about the “terrorist harpist” prompted a great deal of satire by numerous writers—some of those are reprinted in the book.
BUSKER highlights include...
- The outlandish and often hilarious details of one busker's forty-year career entertaining around the globe...from cafes on the isle of Crete to the walking streets of Scandinavia and the ferryboats of Puget Sound.
- An exploration of the much maligned/beloved art of busking and the lifestyle of a street performer. Through his personal experiences, historic anecdotes and a look at other famous buskers, Michael makes the case that busking plays a vital cultural role in society. While glorifying the lifestyle and freedom of buskers everywhere, he also exposes the many perils and pitfalls of the occupation.
- A gritty and humorous travelogue of five summers of street music exploits and misadventures in Europe.
- Colorful coming-of-age stories of Michael as a teen, venturing through the turbulent sixties' culture of anti-war uprisings and psychedelic voyages before breaking into the seventies when he honed his music performance skills from an Israeli kibbutz to the seamy underbelly of Hollywood Boulevard.
- A bonus section - 50 HOT TIPS FOR BUSKERS with invaluable pointers and lessons for novice and expert buskers alike. Fun for armchair buskers too!
- A companion 73-minute compilation CD of David Michael's best music—especially those tunes mentioned in the book—is included with the book.
"This book is a bit like a time warp or sci-fi adventure with its own world and terminology... You will laugh, virtually cry...and begin to question 'have I lived my life to the fullest?' What a gem of a book for any reader. Open your horizons and learn about another world. "
– Chris Lunn, Ancient Victory’s Review
5.0 out of 5 stars
"I bought this book from David while after listening to him play on the Port Townsend Ferry. His music was beautiful and I love to read so I bought this book that had a CD included with it. I started reading the first few pages and was hooked. I finished the book the next day. I grew up in the same era around musicians and found myself laughing out loud at many of his stories. Thank you, David for never giving up and sharing your beautiful music and stories."
5.0 out of 5 stars
A great read!
"Simply a great read. The life and times of Mr. Michael. I can't say enough about how captivating his music is and then to get to read about his interesting life!"